Daniel Miessler is a recognized cybersecurity expert and writer with 20 years in Information Security. His experience ranges from technical assessment and implementation, to executive level advisory services consulting, to building and running industry-leading security programs.
His 20 years of experience in security ranges from the vibrant startup ecosystem in his birthplace of Silicon Valley, to working with many of the top 100 worldwide companies. He frequently gives talks and participates in panels around the world, and his work and commentary have been featured in dozens of the world’s leading publications.
Relevant presence data
Daniel dislikes speaking about himself in the third person.
- Twitter: @danielmiessler, ~101K followers, verified by Twitter in 2016.
Website: danielmiessler.com, active since 1999, over 2,000 pieces, monthly visitors ~450K, one of the highest rated personal sites in the world—with a Global Alexa rank around 90,000, and a US Alexa rank around 30,000.
Podcast: The Unsupervised Learning podcast has been going since 2015, and has been rated as one of the top security podcasts for the last several years. The podcast is downloaded approximately 25,000 times a month according to Omnystudio.
The podcast and newsletter are two parts of the same show.
- Newsletter: The Unsupervised Learning newsletter has been running since 2015, and is widely popular within the security and tech industry. It reaches approximately 30,000 subscribers and has open and clickrates far above the industry average (~30%/~11% for standard subscribers, and ~75%/50% for members), as measured by MailChimp.
- Speaking: 2018 Keynote Speaker at the Rocky Mountain Information Security Conference (RMISC), 2016-2018 AppSec California OWASP Conference, DEFCON 23 (IoT Village), BlackHat 2015 (Arsenal), OWASP AppSec USA, RSA USA (2015, 2016, and 2017), many, many more
Also listed on a list of people who gag when talking about themselves being on lists.
- Recognition: Listed among Top 50 InfoSec influencers by DigitalGuardian in 2018, listed as the top InfoSec thought leader in this InfoSec Institute list, listed as the top InfoSec influencer on Onalytica’s 2016 InfoSec Influencers List.
- Projects: 2015: Launched the Unsupervised Learning podcast and newsletter, which has around 20,000 followers, 2018: Founder and CEO of the HELIOS company, in the Attack Surface Monitoring space, Creator and leader of the OWASP IoT Security Project, Creator and leader of the SecLists Project, Consistent blogger at danielmiessler.com for nearly 20 years, Coverage of tech conferences often highly commented on by other top industry players, Active coder on GitHub, with over 1K followers, Other projects.
- I strongly dislike speaking of myself and my work in this way, and I used to have this page hidden away just for responding to media inquiries. But with the recent changes to Google’s algorithms (circa September 2018) that focus on fighting fake news and establishing credibility, it’s now become necessary to demonstrate clearly who you are and why someone should listen to you with everything you write. So my apologies for this reading like a case study in narcissism.
If you get value from this content, you can support it directly by becoming a member. Being a member gets you access to the newsletter every week instead of just twice a month, access to the UL Slack Channel, the UL Book Club, the UL Archives, and access to future member-only content.